Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sometimes things just dont happen the way you thought they would.


So the other day Im riding our DS 450 X-MX at our secret test compound. I've been trying to get in shape enough to go back and race another CMRC ATV race again and before I started riding I figured Id better make sure the track includes all the elements I might run into on a real motocross track. So, I set out to build a few step up jumps. Something ive never been very comfortable with in the past. My first few build attempts went well. The jumps were too steep but they were do-able and not "too" big.
I rode for a day, adjusted things as needed with our trusty backhoe until I got everything where I wanted it. The next day I decided to invite some friends over to test out my new track layout.
The day started off great, everyone was having a blast working their way up to the bigger jumps and stylin off the smaller ones. A.J. was the only one who would actually hit the new step up jumps id made and he even said the one was just to gnarly and that it needed to be fixed. I just said id do it tomorrow.
At the end of the day we were puttin on the last few laps, the sun was going down and was at the worst spot for the biggest of the 2 step up jumps. It was right in your eyes on the lead up and then cast a dark shadow on the face of the jump. Id hit this thing like 100 times that day so I just figured I didnt need to see it that well to know what was going to happen.
Sure enough, I come barrelin into the face of this thing, maybe just a hair too slow. The take off was fine but I came up short on the landing, cased it and went flying over the bars. This whole process didnt hurt as much as I thought it might. What came next just sucked.
As I was flying through the air I spotted a rock in the ground. Not like a stone, but like a giant slab of rock... possibly connected to the earths core somehow. It wasent smooth like I was hoping though, it was all edgy, bumpy and rough. Based on my immediate calculations, that rock was exactly where I was heading. And, as if I had laser guided aim, I landed, back first, on this rock.
Im not a small dude. 240lbs does not come down all light and fluffy if you get my drift. I laded on my left lower back and at first it didnt hurt but I knew it wasent good. So I got right up, got on the bike and drove home before the shock and adrenaline wore off and the pain set in.
Turns out I bruised my back and side up pretty good. The bruise went through to the bone on my hip but an X-ray showed that nothing was broken or out of place. Lots of ice and some down time and im all back to normal, ready to ride asap. But maybe ill wait till the sun isnt in my eyes and I can actually see the jump.
Live and learn I guess.
Until next time
L.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the story, glad to hear your ok, check out my blog if you need a laugh.

    I am looking forward to the new season of the show.

    ReplyDelete